Roof Repair | Heavy Wind | When homeowners think of roof damage, they typically think of damaged caused by ice storms and hail. However, roofs can just as easily be damaged by wind. As seasons change, the adjustment from cold to hot weather causes strong winds that can rip shingles right off your roofing deck. Here are a few things you need to know about heavy wind damage and roof repair.
Tornadoes produce winds between 73 to 112 mph. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for strong winds to reach similar speeds during the changing of the seasons. Roof shingles are simply not designed to withstand winds of this speed. Putting this much stress on your roof can result in roof damage where the edges of your shingles start to curl and begin to rip from the foundation.
Types of Wind Pressure
When the wind blows, there are two types of pressure. The first is positive pressure, which pushes down. This tends to put more of the pressure on the structural components of your roof. The second is negative pressure, which creates a vacuum-like force. It’s this type of pressure that can rip off roofing materials.
Preventing Roof Damage
While it’s impossible to prevent all wind damage to your roof, there are a few steps that you can take to lessen the chances that damage will occur. This includes:
• hiring a professional to secure your roof covering, sheathing and decking;
• choosing a roof covering that has a high wind resistance;
• making sure all of your flashing, ridging and openings are properly secure;
• choosing a hip roof instead of gable style since hip roofs are less prone to wind damage; and
• hiring a professional to maintain your roof at least twice a year to spot damage early.
When your roof has become damaged from strong winds and you need roof repair, it’s best to leave it to a professional roofing contractor. They have the tools and knowledge to repair your roof properly and safely.