Roof Repair | Make 2016 the year you tighten up the maintenance and operation of your commercial roof.
There’s not many other building assets that command as much maintenance expense and consistent attention as the roof, but by following some proven best practices, people can save budget dollars—and aggravation!
1. Perform self-inspections monthly or quarterly, and after major weather events.
2. Repair cracks or unsealed exposures before heavy precipitation penetrates, and/or freezes and then expands the damage.
3. Trace the sources of wet insulation; and repair those leaks before they lead to mold, insect infestation or compromised energy efficiency.
4. Get to know your roof warranty’s coverage terms, conditions and exclusions.
5. Do your homework now for reputable roofing contractors who you can call in a pinch with an emergency service need and know they’ll respond quickly and efficiently.
6. Schedule semi-annual roof inspections with a reputable roofing contractor, ideally in the spring and fall.
7. Seek information on roof restorations to see if there’s a cost efficient way to extend the life of your roof before opting to replace it.
8. Limit roof foot traffic, and establish clear traffic patterns for employees and contractors to minimize the risk of damage.
9. Consider lowering energy costs, and bringing your roof to watertight condition, by simply coating it in a color most suitable for your climate.
But wait; there’s more! Be on the lookout for Part 2 of our list of proactive actions you can take for your roof very soon.